May 10, 2011

First Show 2011

For the past few years we have been on a schedule – the show season starts with the closest show. At only 40 minutes away, we can bring lots of kids, we can bring all our 4Hers, and overall a great show to ease into the season.
Last Saturday as we were discussing who to bring and who the 4Hers could do showmanship with, we were suddenly confronted with an upheaval to our nice little plans. They were looking for an emergency replacement judge down in Chino for a 3 ring, 1 day show. Taking one for the team (and because it sounded really fun!), we agreed to head down south and bypass the close show.
We still sent a few 4Hers with their leased goats up north to do showmanship and practice. Reports indicate that one of our 4Her’s even got a special trophy for the Lamamcha specialty show! Sometimes it is good to know some things can run without us.
Since I would be the only one showing, we had to make sure we had only one goat per class. Most shows we can get away with more goats in each class since we can both be showing. Additionally because we see most of the same people at all the shows we normally go to  - we can always ask our friends to help us out. This time around I was going solo and wanted to make sure I was only showing one per class. So we took 3 senior does to show (Arizona, Alba, Xymphony) and 4 jr does (Bolivia, Brea, Bianca, and Ballad). A mishap with Brea’s papers meant that we did not get to show her and Yodel came along for the ride since she would be very uncomfortable without Ballad.
I got the opportunity to deliver the second Saanen wether to his new home where he is to be a slightly spoiled pack goat. I had seen the ad asking for a bottle baby Saanen back in February and figured there was no way I would be able to get a goat all the way down there, even if one of my boys was a good fit. This trip made it all work out. There is nothing that warms your heart more than seeing one of your animals go to a new loving home. I have no doubt he will be very happy down there.
It was cool to see so many other people who we don’t normally see and compete against lots of animals you don’t on a regular basis. The highlight of the show was Bolivia going Reserve Jr champion. She walked out in the that ring like she was a star. Ballad and Bianca did not act as polite (although they placed respectably in their classes). Bianca walked through the ring hunched up and cold while Ballad danced on 2 legs most of the time. That is part of what the show season is for – teach the animals a few manners and how to behave like little ladies.
After a 7 hour drive down and a 12+ hour day of showing and judging we loaded everyone back up and headed home. Although we arrived at 4am (and had to milk a very angry Katie) it was a really fun experience and a great change of pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment